Thunder Mountain has quickly become one of the must-do rides for mountain bikers visiting Southwestern Utah. This is one of the most visually stunning rides you’ll ever encounter. The ride travels through the Clarion Formation, the main geologic layer that makes up Bryce Canyon National Park. This geologic layer is famous for its hoodoos and otherworldly formations, exquisitely eroded by time and the elements. Our ride has a starting elevation of 7000ft and travels up as high as 8200ft before racing back down to our rig completing a 14.7mi loop.
The Days Events
- The day starts with a scenic drive through the east side of Zion National Park and up to the Thunder Mountain Trailhead just shy of Bryce National Park.
- The Thunder Mountain trailhead for the loop ride is in scenic Red Canyon State Park amongst a unique portion of exposed and sculpted Clarion Formation geological strata.
- This route is an intermediate technical ride with some decent cardio required. Ther are very fast downhill sections with some exposure, tough hill climbs, and some pretty gnarly but well-crafted switchbacks to keep you on your toes.
- There are options to do this ride as a shuttled ride if necessary or desired. Although, we believe you should earn your turns.
- Drive time to Thunder Mountain is about an hour and a half. Ride times depend on you but this is definitely a full day. We do offer options to visit Bryce National Park since we are so close.
- Our trips are set up as privately guided trips. This means that you will not be stuck with others who might impact your experience adversely.
- Please let us know if you would like the option of an open group trip to save money.
- All riders can benefit from proper body mechanics, weight distribution, and braking techniques. Our guides are well versed in all riding techniques and can assist with increasing your skill level.
- All riders will be briefed on the mechanisms and components of their state of the art mountain bike before we start to ride.
- Your guide is also well versed on the local area and can interpret much of what you see. If you have a question just ask.
- Included Equipment:
- A full suspension mountain bike is included in the trip pricing
- Helmets are also included
- A small biking pack, if needed
- A local knowledgeable mountain bike guide.
- Transportation of bikes- Occasionally we ask folks to drive to the trailhead, but we transport the bikes.
- A cooler to store food and beverages of your liking. BYOB
- What you should bring:
- A CamelBak if you own one, or water bottles (100oz or 3 liters)
- Snack foods (power bars, gel shots, candy bars…)
- Sturdy footwear (running shoes are fine)
- Athletic clothing (shorts and a t-shirt with an upper layer) weather dependent
- A camera (small)
In the Morning (what to expect)
- Please arrive promptly the morning of your trip. If we have not sized you for bikes prior, we will have to do that in the morning
- Please park behind our shop
- Bring all of your things that you want to take into the shop.
- Fill out any necessary forms if you have not done so already (medical & liability release)