FAQ – Thunder Mountain
- How good a shape do I need to be in?
- Fitness always helps but we can tailor this ride to meet your needs. This ride reaches a max altitude of 8500ft on some uphill climbs. Good cardio helps, but most folks in reasonable shape can do this ride. There are trail options to minimize elevation gain.
- I don’t consider myself a technical rider, will I have fun on this trip?
- This ride is moderate in technical difficulty. There are some tight switchbacks and stout hill climbs to negotiate but we can help you with that skill set.
- What kind of riding will we be doing?
- The ride is primarily well-groomed singletrack. There are you occasional rocky sections that make it a real mountain bike ride but overall this is a very plush trail.
- What is singletrack?
- Singletrack is a term used to describe a single line of trail that is just wider than the bike itself. These trails usually get created by mountain bikes or are old stock trails now used as bike trails. Singletrack differs from doubletrack in that doubletracks are usually created by cars or ATVs. Grass or weeds usually stick up between each of the two tracks.
- What is douletrack?
- Doubletrack differs from singletrack in that doubletracks are usually created by cars or ATVs. Grass or weeds usually stick up between each of the two tracks.
- What is a fire road?
- A fire road is a term used to describe dirt roads. Often these dirt roads in the west were originally used as a means to get fire trucks into remote areas.
- Should I keep my trip as a private trip?
- We allow people to open their trip up for others to join. If others join it lowers the cost for everyone. If you are worried about holding others back or vice versa, or you don’t want to go riding with kids, you should elect to keep your trip private. We do try to screen each group to see if they are compatible.
- Can I bring my own bike and does it cost less?
- Yes to both. the price drops by $20 if you bring your own bike. See Instructions.
- Can I ship my bike to you and have you guys assemble it for the trip?
- Yes you can- we do charge for this service. See instructions.
- Can I bring my own pedals or gravity dropper seat post, or special comfy seat?
- Yes you can- no charge for this service. See instructions.
- Can you guarantee my safety?
- Not necessarily. Biking has inherent risks and dangers. Unlike canyoneering or climbing we do not have a safety line on you while biking you are free to make decisions at will. You can ride off of precipices, into trees and cactus, into others and over the bars. We as guides will alert you to hazards and instruct on technique but the end results are in your hands. We do advise that you ride within your abilities and we will help define your abilities. Part of the joy of mountain biking is trying new things and pushing yourself on new terrain. That said, it is also a good idea to return from your vacation in one piece with all of your teeth still in your mouth.
Mail Bike Zion:
PO Box 623
1458 Zion Park Blvd.
Springdale, UT 84767
30 days or more from the trip date- Full refund minus $50 administrative fee.
14-29 days from the trip date- Full refund minus 50% deposit of full trip price.
0-13 days from the trip date- No Refunds